There are many things you can take into consideration when trying to rank the top 10 college fraternities and sororities. Some people might find the ability to throw a party at the drop of a hat most important. Others might rate the top 10 college fraternities and sororities by chapter sizes, most famous alumni or the actual philanthropic work being done.
When coming up with our list, we decided to rank mostly on member size. We are not trying to say that one sorority or fraternity is better than another, but rather give an idea as to some of the bigger ones out there. So read on for the top 10 college fraternities nationally and the top 10 college sororities.
Top 10 College Fraternities
- Sigma Chi was founded in 1855 but it wasn’t until 2012 that it made the Huntsman Cancer Institute its philanthropic partner.
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon partners with National Youth Service Day and its preferred philanthropy is the Children’s Miracle Network.
- Tau Kappa Epsilon was founded in 1899 and the fraternity adopted both the Alzheimer’s Association and Run for Reagan as their preferred philanthropies.
- Lambda Chi Alpha is one of the largest fraternities in America. During the year, the fraternity participates in more than 30 different philanthropies in order to raise money for various organizations.
- Pi Kappa Alpha does not have a set national philanthropy. Instead, their chapters raise money for various charitable organizations that include the homeless, disease research, etc.
- Alpha Tau Omega was founded in 1865 and it partners with the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- Sigma Nu through its Helping Hand Initiative, works with Habitat for Humanity, Character Counts!, The Paul “Bear” Bryant Awards and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- Sigma Phi Epsilon encourages its chapters to support various charitable organizations. However, T.A.K.E. Defense and YouthAids are the fraternity’s official philanthropic partners.
- Beta Theta Pi is another fraternity without a set national philanthropy but its chapters have worked hard to support both local and national charitable organizations such as the American Cancer Society.
- Alpha Phi Alpha was founded in 1906 and it is the first Black, intercollegiate Greek-lettered fraternity.
Top 10 College Sororities
- Chi Omega is the largest member of the National Panhellenic Conference and its official philanthropy is the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
- Delta Gamma is one of the seven original groups to begin the National Panhellenic Conference. The sorority’s philanthropy is Service for Sight.
- Delta Delta Delta was founded in 1888 at Boston University and the sorority’s philanthropy is helping charities for children’s cancer, with most of their fundraising efforts going to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- Kappa Kappa Gamma was founded in 1870 and Reading is Fundamental is the sorority’s official philanthropy.
- Alpha Chi Omega has a foundation, the Alpha Chi Omega Foundation that focuses on domestic violence and is the recipient of the sorority’s philanthropic endeavors.
- Kappa Delta supports four different philanthropies – the Children’s Hospital of Richmond, Virginia and Orthopedic Research Awards, Girl Scouts of the USA and Prevent Child Abuse America.
- Pi Beta Phi was also one of the seven original groups to begin the National Panhellenic Conference. Their philanthropies have changed throughout history but currently they support literacy organizations.
- Alpha Delta Pi started supporting Ronald McDonald House Charities in 1979 and since then, they have donated over $5 million.
- Alpha Phi is the third sorority on our list to help begin the National Panhellenic Conference. Every year the sorority presents the Heart to Heart Cardiac Care grant to an association that supports women’s cardiac research.
- Zeta Tau Alpha supports breast cancer awareness and Think Pink is a registered trademark of the sorority.
What do you think of our list of the top fraternities and sororities? Should anyone else have made the cut? We would love to hear from you.